By at 12:14 PM Monday, December 3rd 2012

Josh Homme Updates Fans on new QOTSA Record

Queens Of The Stone Age, Studio Reports

We’re bordering on fansite coverage level for this band now, but Queens of the Stone Age frontman Josh Homme recently provided a few notable updates on the band’s forthcoming sixth LP.

In case you’ve been living under a rock for the past few weeks, the new QOTSA album first started gaining momentum in the news with announcements that Dave Grohl, Trent Reznor and Nick Oliveri were all involved in the recording process. In an interview with Zane Lowe on BBC Radio 1 this Monday, Mr. Homme went into a little more detail on the record’s development, and the way he sees its music.

Homme initially mentioned that the recording came with “a lot of struggles,” but that he wouldn’t go deep into that subject. He stated that lyrically, the new LP is “more vulnerable,” and that musically, it’s “deeper, richer and stranger” than the band’s previous efforts. He described the new music as something that “sounds like you’re running in a dream the whole time,” but one that’ll hopefully end up like “a spoonful of sugar.” The frontman concluded by saying that, with every record, he hopes to “pull every trick I know to wrap hooks in strangeness” – but with this one, “the final trick I have is ‘no trick at all.’”

Stay tuned for more news on QOTSA’s 6th LP as it becomes available – including the possibility of Dave Grohl not touring with the band.

1. Dave says:

Sounds like Josh had some writers-block after TCV

Cant blame him.

2. Craig says:

This strangely makes it sound either like “This is it; this is the last album,” or “I finally figured out what makes a great album. This is the start of something beautiful.” I’m hoping dearly that it’s the latter.

3. mutterhals says:

My face when I have no face.

4. Joe says:

“sounds like you’re running in a dream the whole time,”

makes me think of River in the Road, God I hope not

5. Matt Black says:

Cant say I’ve been thrilled by any of his output for ten years… still listening though

6. Rory Biller says:

I loved the bit where Dave was talking about the drum recording. Pretty cool how they isolated the drums in one take and then did all the symbols in another take. Probably why I had such a hard time trying to cover ‘Song For The Dead’ years ago.

7. Rory Biller says:

You guys need to add a 3rd option…thumbs up, middle finger, and middle finger up his ass.