By at 8:18 PM Wednesday, June 5th 2013

New From Nine Inch Nails: ‘Came Back Haunted’

Nine Inch Nails, Music

NIN Hands Pic That Johnny Loves

As predicted over a month ago, the new track from Nine Inch Nails would be dropping on June 6th. Depending on which part of the world you’re in, you just got to open your Christmas present early, as Came Back Haunted can be listened to right now.

Soon after the announcement that their forthcoming LP is titled Hesitation Marks, the brand new song appeared online. Early reports indicated a return to the band’s early sound –  the wobbling synth and beat certainly adding to that feel, but it’s also reminiscent of Year Zero in its shifting atmospheres from verse to chorus. Listen to Came Back Haunted in its (now-official) stream below:

Expect Nine Inch Nails’ Hesitation Marks to drop on September 3rd, with more details on the record to follow “soon”. Meanwhile, be sure to check out our recent interview with former NIN drummer Jerome Dillon here.

The band is hitting the road next month with their Tension 2013 tour. US dates can be found here, while the remainder can be found below:

7.26 Niigata Prefecture, JP @ Fuji Rock Festival
7.28 Ansan, KR @ Ansan Valley Festival
8.15 Kiewit, BE @ Pukkelpop
8.16 Biddinghuizen, NL @ Lowlands Festival
8.18 Hockenheim, DE @ Rock ‘n’ Heim
8.21 Belfast, IE @ Belsonic Festival
8.23 Leeds, UK @ Leeds Festival
8.24 Saint-Cloud, FR @ Rock en Seine
8.25 Reading, UK @ Reading Festival
8.28 Milan, IT @ Mediolanum Forum

(The first version of the track to hit the web was apparently a radio-edit).

1. Greg Kawalec says:

Sounds like if “Survivalism” was on The Downward Spiral. Definitely a grower.

2. Cyanotic says:

Awesome track – Nine Inch Nails are official back.

3. Brian Von says:

Is it just me or does this kinda sound like a nirvana song in a weird kinda way. Fucking awesome.

4. Branding says:

I don’t feel like it is nearly dark, hard, or angsty enough to be compared to Downward… but that’s not to say I don’t like it. :D

5. Brad Allison says:

The name of the song is “Came Back Haunted.” NOT “COME Back Haunted” as the audio track has it labeled.

6. jojo says:

Nine Inch Nail’s best first single since…man, I don’t even know, The Day The World Went Away maybe? Fun stuff, feels a little dated and cheesy in the best way possible, like a sincere tribute to early 90s industrial dance music.

7. zach w says:

lame

8. Kenny Smith says:

I have no reaction to this song. It’s fine – perfectly competent as far as things go – but nothing interesting. It’s not weird enough for me to hate it, but it’s not good enough for me to love it. It just exists.

9. mt says:

Good party song

10. Eacast says:

uh…huh? what is this dance song? NIN? sequel to down in it? this song HUH HUH HUH huh-nted ? me. STOP. seriously. what the hell. QOTSA moved to my top band.

11. RC13 says:

Hell to the FUCKING yes!!!!!!!!! :D So stoked for HM!!!!! Can’t wait!!!! Song is awesome!

12. Robert Stofa says:

I think its pretty good!! i like it quite a bit, the only change i would make to the song would be to make the chorus louder and more raw sounding esp the “came back haunted” line, maybe throw in a rowdy distorted guitar and a different, heavier drumbeat (if that makes sense).. i bet you thats how it will sound live though! still though a great track.. cant wait to hear more! :)

13. William Bright says:

So… so wait, he just remade Hand That Feeds? The song structure is damn nearly the same. Now please, bear with me. I’m a BIG fan. But there’s a small part of me that really hoped that Trent as an artist, as a lyricist, would grow along with me as a fan. I was in high school when Pretty Hate Machine came out now. I’m an adult now. I’m not saying I don’t still identify with this stuff but… c’mon. The same can be said for HTDA’s lyrics. He’s a very smart man, well spoken. How does that not transfer into his lyrics? Or his songs?

• Robert Stofa says:

i kind of agree with you on this.. but then again, we haven’t heard the full album, only one song.. and also, you know, the early stuff was in a way less thought-out and created more on aggression, up to his great opus The Fragile.. i bet even he cant top that one. He’s sober now, grown up, etc etc. which makes most people just a little more lame personally. lol although, i still dig the song.. its definitely better sounding that the slip.. however The Slip songs played live sounded pretty bad ass.

14. Ghost says:

Wow. This song is pretty awful. :(

15. Jow Walt says:

Sounds like a plan to me dude.

16. I wish I had waited 15 minutes to listen to the official version. That “single edit” gave me a bad first impression.

I don’t think it’s the best NIN single. Not really original, as a matter of fact, although it’s kinda catchy. There isn’t any real instruments during most of the track.

17. I keep hearing Lenny Kravitz… it’s like if Lenny Kravitz took over the NIN moniker. Still, I LIKE IT.

18. fester says:

i dont care for it, too boppy. come on trent!

19. Kevin says:

Ah finally. I’m digging it. This sounds like it’s happening right after Year Zero which is good for me because I didn’t like Ghosts and The Slip.

20. Reece Cooper says:

Trent knows what the fans want!

21. Dan says:

Fairly boring, nothing too interesting about it. Certainly raises suspicions about the reasons for ending the very brief nin retirement.

Maybe the rest of the album will be better.

22. Conrad says:

NIN will never exist as it did back in the downward spiral & the fragile days. Sorry Trent, this is losing steam for me. Copy & Pasted techniques from year-zero and with teeth.

23. former fan says:

Awful. Same boring, tired lyrics and riffs, just sounds a lot worse this time around. I guess TR needs diaper money; this sounds like he found it at the bottom of a soiled one.

24. Andre Howard says:

That is how you marry the future with the past. Fucking proper this one.

25. Rick Sparks says:

This song is not for people who can’t stand it when artists try new toys. Honestly, I’d rather listen to watered down, practiced NIN every minute of every day if having to choose it over the pop tripe that’s been crammed down everyone’s throats over the past decade.

• eacast says:

this is not new. This is PHM mixed with DS. in the modern age of lady gaga listeners. Trent being a pop star. with same old guitar riffs and same old lyrics. cant find myself, cant help myself whatever. we have all heard this. just a dance song. hoping the label was pushing for a catchy song for radio waves and this came out. not judging album on this. just saying that this isnt as good as the hype.

26. mt says:

anyone who says this song sucks is a FUCKING DICK.

27. Becky says:

Yep, just as boring and as I thought it would be. “I’m not who I use to be”. Yes, we can hear that. I’m not excited. Sad to say.

28. Jerome says:

This song sucks, NIN is dead sorry Trent. NIN is still my favorite band of all time (the old stuff). I fell in love with NIN for the raw music that I can relate to. Hes older and off drugs and less angry. I stopped really listening to them after with teeth album.

29. Sounds like Year Zero. Not bad. Not really adding anything to the NIN legacy. It’s too bad he ditched the progressive sensibilities of “The Fragile” for this type of pop.

30. Ross CMR says:

The video is great too. So stoked for their upcoming tour!

31. maxk says:

Can’t wait for the new album to come out in September!

32. Allen says:

I love NIN. But this song is terrible.

33. Horeb Glez says:

the hand that feeds, can be collaborated on wavestack :) . I´ve made a version, but it think you could do best :(. http://wavestack.com/nineinchnails/s/the-hand-that-feeds

34. In diesem Jahr hat der Rat verbrachte Mio. auf den Erwerb von 66 unfit H?user, ein weiterer auf Bulldozern 31 H?user und 180 Millionen auf die Sanierung Eigenschaften.
    Cheap Polo Shirts For Men http://www.artwrit.com/polo.php