By at 5:49 PM Sunday, September 25th 2011

Full Song: Listen To Metallica & Lou Reed’s ‘The View’

Metallica, Music

We’ve been awaiting the Lulu collaboration album between the legendary Lou Reed and metal icons Metallica for quite sometime, with an accelerating sense of concern for the results of the unlikely pairing.

Now, the masses finally get a full-flavored taste of the “Lulu” project, via the song The View. As the sounds below indicate, we’re in for some serious weirdness when this full album drops. Imagine Iron Man played backwards slowly while your molester uncle talks some weird shit about his ex, and you’ve got a good sense of just what the fuck is going on here.

Here’s some lyrics as well:

AM A CHORUS OF THE VOICES

I WANT TO HAVE YOU DOUBTING
EVERY MEANING YOU’VE AMASSED
LIKE A FORTUNE, LIKE A FORTUNE
THROW IT AWAY

FOR WORSHIP OF SOMEONE WHO ACTIVELY DESPISES YOU

WHO ACTIVELY DESPISES YOU

Lulu, which will be released on Halloween, was co-produced by Reed, Metallica, Hal Willner and Laurie Anderson, among others.

Lulu tracklisting:

01. Brandenburg Gate (4:19)

02. The View (5:17)

03. Pumping Blood (7:24)

04. Mistress Dread (6:52)

05. Iced Honey (4:36)

06. Cheat On Me (11:26)

07. Frustration (8:33)

08. Little Dog (8:01)

09. Dragon (11:08)

10. Junior Dad (19:28)

1. Holy Hell, this is awful.

2. It seems that St. Anger will stop being the worst Metallica album.

3. Cody Lamie says:

I can’t even say its bad. It’s too weird to be either good or bad.

4. Prisoner Monkeys says:

I’m seeing a lot of negative reaction to this. But I think the first thing you have to keep in mind is that it’s not a Metallica album per se. It’s an album by Metallica, but it’s intended to be something entirely different to anything they’ve done. It’s a concept album based on Frank Wedekind’s “Lulu” plays, which are pretty intense – they’re about a dancer who is physically and emotionally abused by her lovers to breaking point. The lyrics from this song make it pretty clear that “The View” is from the perspective of one of those lovers.

I find it strange that they’ve released “The View” as a single. “Lulu” is a concept album, like Dream Theater’s “Metropolis Pt. 2″. It’s one part of a larger story. Taken in isolation, yes, it’s weird. But if it’s a part of a greater whole, I think it could be difficult to judge the songs on their individual merits.

5. 56Century says:

I actively despise this

6. tbone57 says:

There is corporate, compressed rock a plenty out there today. Many bands strike it big and devolve into risk-advioders-creating music that stays inside the lines for maximum financial payoff.

Although I/we may not care much for the Metallica/Lou Reed collaboration, lets recognize that it takes a set of stones to do this.

I for one am all for it. Such outside the music box thinking is where some really cool shit comes from (although this may not be that cool).

Hoping more successful, wealthy beyond imagination bands follow suit.

But its worth acknowledging that if Metallica is taken to the woodshed over this “less-than-generally-accepted-Metallica” type album, the result may be fewer bands will explore unorthodox approaches. Hence, less creativity and more schlock rock.

High five for the effort, even if the execution is lacking.

• Greg Shield says:

All 5 have earned the right to do what they want, but this does absolutely nothing for me. At first listen of one song, and at risk of being a keyboard warrior: maybe this should have got the same treatment as the Tapeworm project

7. Pete says:

Five minutes? Could have cut it down to three, and it would still be just as awkward. I think if Lou Reed was twenty years younger, it wouldn’t be so bad. It reminds me of the last couple of Johnny Cash albums where he could barely get out the words. Metallica need to get in the studio and record a proper followup to DM.

8. fmuff says:

* facepalm *

9. It’s pretty much everything one would expect from a Metallica/Lou Reed tag team effort. I will pass judgement when I hear the entire record. Even if I don’t like the end result, I have enough respect for these two to tip my hat and appreciate them trying something outside the norm.

10. zobi says:

not as bad as the snippets, actually interesting, the whole record needs to be better though, let’s judge then.

11. Rrar says:

You know, I could forgive this for being weird if it wasn’t so damned monotonous.

• Prisoner Monkeys says:

It’e meant to be monotonous. “Lulu” is a concept album, telling the story of a young dancer who is physically and emotionally abused by her lovers. The lyrics of “The View” make it pretty clear that this is one of her lovers breaking her down piece by piece through repetitive, systematic psychological abuse. It’s a tactic used by abusers everywhere – measured, tactic abuse to create an emotional dependency in their victims. What else would the ‘worship of someone who actively despises you’ be?