By at 7:31 AM Wednesday, July 13th 2011

NIck Oliveri (Ex-QOTSA) Arrested For Domestic Violence

Stupid People, Music

It’s a dark week when we’re quoting TMZ twice in a week, but according to the scabby internet scandal scavengers, former Queens of the Stone Age/Kyuss and current Kyuss Lives! bassist Nick Oliveri was arrested Tuesday night – after an “intense standoff with a S.W.A.T. team at his Hollywood home”.

Oliveri’s neighbor called police after hearing a “disturbance” between the bassist and his live-in girlfriend. A lengthy two-hour standoff between S.W.A.T. team forces and Nick ensued before Oliveri finally agreed to let his girlfriend exit the duplex.

The tense situation came to a close when Los Angeles police officers knocked down Oliveri’s front door and he was taken into custody, at about 10:30 p.m.

Nick’s girlfriend reportedly told police that Nick hit her during an argument the previous day. She had returned to collect her belongings and move out of the home, when the conflict escalated.

Even more disturbingly, Nick has battled a negative reputation as a violent aggressor towards women over the years. In a 2004 interview with BBC’s Radio 1, QOTSA frontman Joshua Homme and lifelong friend to the bassist explained that Oliveri was let go from the band for similar reasons:

“A couple years ago, I spoke to Nick about a rumor I heard,” Homme recalled. “I said, ‘If I ever find out that this is true, I can’t know you, man.’ Because music and my life are the same thing, there’s no rules until something massive happens. [Nick] was over here [in England] with [QOTSA vocalist Mark] Lanegan and something happened again, and he almost didn’t make it out of the country. That’s not music anymore.”

Then there’s this Homme-featured video from several years ago, in which the singer responds to a girl who says “I miss Nick” by suggesting that “Maybe he can beat the shit out of you, too.” Watch below:

During a search of Nick’s home on Hobart Boulevard Tuesday night, cops reportedly found a fully loaded high-powered rifle.

Oliveri was booked on felony domestic violence. He has since been released after posting $100,000 bail.

1. Ko Ma says:

gosh, some just never learn :/

2. pupo says:

Domestic violence is a psychological and pathological illness which just escalates until you reach for help (seems obvious but many don’t) or end up killing a ‘loved’ one…Hope he chooses to focus on music instead of beating women…

3. pupo says:

And again, what’s with the bassists nowadays???

4. Wowza. Precisely why he is EX-Queens. Well, that and the fact that he is pretty one dimensional as a musician.

• Rory says:

Fuck that…Oliveri was a huge loss for QOTSA. I love everything they have ever produced but I would never downplay his contributions to their sound.

Johannes and Shuman have both brought different dynamics to the band since his departure, but I regret missing them when they toured Songs For The Deaf.

5. Keesters says:

Fully loaded high powered rifle? It could have been so much worse! Has he lost his mind? I thought touring w/ a band again would have been a good thing for him, obviously not. I hope he gets some help. I’m glad she is ok and safe.

6. What did I fucking say about TMZ? All bad news.

7. Luke says:

They should get Scott Reeder for Kyuss Lives now. hehe

8. MidnightMarauder says:

Nick Oliveri is one of my favorite all time bassists. This is fucking sad.

9. KURT VAN LIFESON says:

NICK, PLEASE……MY BRO…..GET A GRIP!!!!!
    PLEASE GET SOME HELP!
    STOP THE SPEED/METH & GET SOME ANGER MANAGEMENT!!!!!!
    PLEASE BRO!!!!!!
    I WAS SOOOOO LOOKING FORWARD TO HANGN OUT WITH YOU IN TORONTO HERE IN SEPT…….MAN!
    I HOPE YOUR CHICKS OK, BUT I HOPE YOU GET THE HELP YOU OBVIOUSLY NEED! STOP TAKING METH….JUST SMOKE WEED & DRINK BEER & THE ODD BUMP HERE AND THERE…..METH=DEATH!!!
    I LOVE YOU BROTHER!
    KURT/TORONTO

10. sin says:

i lived with Nick for about 2 1/2 year.. And we where fine..And we are still best friends. People are so ignorant and easy to just assume that the crap you get feed by the media is true.. Hallo all u small ignorant judgemental no life humans keep ur crap inside unless u actually can talk about someone u know really well.. now go worry about yourself instead of someone you actually dont even know!

11. Heather says:

He’s a gentle soul and I’ve known him all his life, it’s the drugs that make him crazy.

12. TWB says:

Geez Josh, easy…
    fuck sakes…

13. heather says:

Nick and I stayed together until recently when he found a new g.f. overseas. He had to travel far from L.A. to find a new victim who may not know his bad reputation. He’ll hit her too. Its not a matter of if, it’s when.