By at 8:09 PM Wednesday, September 16th 2009

Gettin’ Snippy With Alice In Chains

Alice In Chains, Music

It seems like we’ve been hearing about the new Alice in Chains album, Black Gives Way To Blue, for years now, but aside from two singles (A Looking In View and Check My Brain), we’ve had little to run with by way of determining whether replacement singer William DuVall fills Layne Staley’s vacant shoes with justice.

The album’s out on Sept. 29, but you can get a pretty good indication of what to expect with this new video sampler, which features snippets of each track on Black Gives Way To Blue.

I was fortunate enough to be on hand for the listening party in Los Angeles back in July to preview the entire album, after which the band performed a three-song acoustic set to a wildly enthusiastic crowd. This is one review I’m really looking forward to, so you won’t hear any snap judgements from this end, but we’re eager to hear what you think of the first impressions.

i really dig check my brain. i’m kinda over all my initial skepticism. looking forward to it.

2. Rory says:

I just saw them again in Toronto. Another amazing set.

If you want to get fully over the Skepticism Skwerl, go see them.

The guys were out meeting with fans after the show too…great night.

3. zoopster says:

Instantly drawn to Check My Brain as well. Last of My Kind has a nice vocal that is obviously not Layne. Your Decision is a total radio single. i like the falling-over-itself meter on Acid Bubble alot. Take Her Out has a weird melody halfway between Rooster and Would?– its cool. The whole thing sounds pretty much like one would think, but different enough to warrant interest. Me like. I think fans are gonna like this one too.

4. Mike says:

I feel like DuVall has more than proven himself, whether the album as a whole ends up being good or not, he’s done just fine filling those shoes, and seems to be happier doing it.

5. completely agreed. having seen the new lineup twice onstage now, I can say that in some ways…. (blasphmeny drumroll please)… he’s a far better singer than Staley.

6. Rory says:

Johnny…I respectfully disagree.

7. robD says:

Layne never had a pretty voice…his power was his voice so to speak. It was different and unique, but not as talented as duvall. Thats not to say duvall is a better singer because there was something undeniable about Laynes voice.