By at 10:03 AM Wednesday, July 1st 2009

Queens Of Led Foo? Stone Age Zeppelin Fighters? Whatever Works…

Them Crooked Vultures, Music

The rumors are true – Josh Homme, Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones are currently holed up in a Los Angeles recording studio, working on an album that’s been the biggest secret in rock for what seems like years now.

Josh Homme

I pressed for more information in an interview I did yesterday with Homme’s wife, Brody Dalle of Spinnerette. Who’s singing? Who’s behind the kit? When do we get to hear it? She was faithfully tight-lipped, unfortunately, but did offer the following tease:

“I’m not at liberty to talk about it… but I think [the project] is pretty fucking amazing. Just beats and sounds like you’ve never heard before.”

We’ll let our imaginations take that ball and run with it (Songs For The Deaf meets Zeppelin IV? Yes please…).

Back in 2005, Mojo magazine did an interview with Grohl, who dropped the news as casually as mentioning the weather: “The next project that I’m trying to initiate involves me on drums, Josh Homme on guitar, and John Paul Jones playing bass. That’s the next album. That wouldn’t suck.”

We didn’t hear much more about the project after that until this past April, when French journalist Cyril Deluermoz reported that Grohl and Homme were recording together, which was shortly followed by an interview with John Paul Jones, who said the following: “I’m working on some other music, which is more rock based, with a couple of other people. We hope to be everywhere this summer.” When pressed for more information, the legendary bassist clammed up. “It’s a secret, actually,” he said. “I shouldn’t have even said that, you know? There are some exciting projects coming up, let’s put it that way.”

Exciting indeed. But summer’s here, so what gives? Chris Cornell’s guitar tech claims to have heard it, and legendary rock photographer Ross Halfin has acknowledged the recording sessions as well.

With the Foo Fighters on hiatus, Zeppelin down for what looks like the count and Queens Of The Stone Age enjoying some downtime, it would make sense that the long-discussed project would finally come to fruition this year.

Grohl has never made any attempt to hide his love for Led Zeppelin, be it with tattoos or all but offering to sell his kids for a chance to sit in John Bonham’s place for a Zeppelin reunion tour that never happened.

Furthermore, in what appears to be news of an entirely separate Homme project, Ipecac Records co-owner Greg Werckman told Rock-a-Rolla magazine that his label’s other co-owner – Mike Patton (Faith No More, Tomahawk, Fantomas, etc) – has been approached about joining Homme on some new material.

“He’s trying to get a lot of people involved in it, too,” Werckman says, before adding that Homme is “trying to convince Mike [Patton] to go out to the desert, but Mike hates the desert.”

Greg’s likely referring to Homme’s now-legendary Desert Sessions gatherings that Patton may have been invited out for, because the Grohl/Jones collaboration has been confirmed to be taking place in Los Angeles. But then again, who knows? It’s too early to tell for certain – there’s too little information involved. But for now, we can be happy knowing that somewhere, some amazing fucking music is being made, and someday we might just get to hear it.

[Thanks to Fernando for the tip!]

1. Mitchel says:

I’m drooling at the thought of this collaboration happening.

2. Ryan says:

…and then I jizzed in my pants.

3. Passenger says:

Uhhhhm… Patton/Homme??? Did I hear just my head implode? Can you FEEL the quiet before the storm? Personally it’s killing me over here.

4. stu says:

i don’t even know how to comment this kind of news, too incredible. i hope against all hope though, that patton isn’t involved, nothing against him as an artist, i just can’t see his singing style doing this music justice

5. Sign me up. I want the CD, the T-Shirt, concert tickets, the DVD and bootlegs from every show. “Erection” doesn’t even come close to describing what is happening in my pants right now.

6. Mike says:

that would rock

7. Rory says:

Finally something to break this stagnating year of music.

3 of my rock heroes collaborating!

If they tour, I’ll be at 10 of those shows.

8. SHUT UP and get my clothes... says:

I just peed my pants a lil’ bit, this is going to magical, agreed with rory, I would be at 10+ shows because this just sounds legendary. Holy shiz sticks…I need a napkin, brody is a lucky bitch, i’m truly jealous she can witness this and hear what they have so far…besides all the other reasons: beauty, brains, talent, on and on, she rox :)i really hope this happens…cross dix***

9. suzepchick says:

Grohl annoys me but he is talented…
    sure sounds magical and when in NY
    I WILL BE THERE!

10. KVN says:

I sure hope this delivers because I am pumped. I hate when you read about stuff like this and then stupid label, business, ego shit stops it from coming out, Tapeworm comes to mind. For now I will call them The Titans.

11. i think i just shat myself

12. Matt says:

…Awesome

13. Buddy Guy says:

Hail Kyuss, Hail Zeppelin, Hail Scream!

Heavy Rock Not Dead!!!

14. Alfie says:

Get John Garcia in please on vocals.

15. thirteenburn says:

Once this comes out, this will more than likely be…no – it WILL be the heaviest album to come out in the last 20 years.

I can NOT wait!!

Cheers!!

16. Stacy says:

AAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhh! ooohhhh papi, come now. PLEASE.

17. adro says:

@stu
    you’re retarded

18. BOB says:

I just felt my dick move a little bit.

19. Maldo says:

You people all need to keep your shirts on. Just because it’s three big-time dudes doesn’t necessarily mean the music is going to be good. It’s exciting news for sure, but let’s see how the tunes actually turn out before we get too excited.

well yeah, chickenfoot being a case in point. great musicians, shitty songwriters, shitty album. grohl and homme are both great songwriters, and have consistently delivered. i’ll save my boner for when i can listen to something, but my expectations are reasonably high.

21. Jennifoo says:

YEAH! If anyone has seen the Foo’s Live @ Wembley Stadium, with the Foo’s, John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page, not to mention QOTSA album w/Dave on drums, should be pretty amazing. As far as I’m concerned, anything with the greatest rock star ever, Dave Grohl, sounds mind blowing!!

Hope they tour as well??!!

22. zooopster says:

This is a gift from the rock gods.

23. GameJerk says:

I’m surprised a black hole didn’t open up the second they started writing music together in the same studio.

24. Thanks for the post, While I was reading it I really did have one of those ‘UH- HUH’ moments.
    keep up the good work, thanks!

25. jonathan says:

I want to hear Grohl Sing but i understand he is a drummer first. So get Chris Cornell to sing he still has great vocals when given good material.

26. Learning, n. The kind of ignorance distinguishing the studious.

27. stoned river says:

Fighters of Led and Stone!!
    I have blown like 8 loads in my pants per day since i heard the news.
    love homme, hes prob the most influential musician of this generation, as for grohl hes amazing behind the kit… where he belongs as for jones no one has the musical vision this cat has.
    im so excited for this project not too mention a possible dessert sessionss 11+12? Not crazy about patton but hes got some pipes!!
    fuck ya keep the great tunes coming!

28. stoned river says:

GARCIA!!!!!!
    LMFAO

long live john garcia!!

29. jasmine says:

HOLY SHIT PATTON AND HOMME.

I almost had a heart attack! <3

30. The Dude says:

I think i just came..

31. pistol-whippin mama says:

FK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. QOTSA King says:

Zep started the rock rolling, Grohl was part of an enigma and Josh is the greatest living rock genious (w/jack white). Impossible to beat. p.s. I need another QOTSA album soon!!!

33. zepfan22 says:

OMG I JUST CREAMED MY PANTS ENTIRELY READING THIS, WHAT A COMBINATION

34. blacklemon says:

QUEENS OF THE LED FIGHTERS !!

35. edgar says:

Mtr fckr !!!!! could you imagine how will be sound this combination??? i more than desesperate to know when this record will be on sale !!!!! just want it now !!

36. sandman says:

john paul jones and dave grohl with homme its many a flashback of a real supergroup i guess we will never hear of them phonies called chicken feet

37. sandman says:

the new super group jones grohl homme cant wait no more supergroups that suck ex chickenfoot

38. Jimmy Rollins has postponed the attempt to break the world record for striking a baseball the farthest due to calf injury.Now the Biggest Question at this moment is Will He in a position to accomplish this?Elegant Evening Wear

39. theMilitantCritic says:

this band is lameoid

40. Nasdaq:nflx says:

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is needed to get setup? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a
    pretty penny? I’m not very internet savvy so I’m not 100%
    positive. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

41. blogging is about partnering, and in the press gallery after the two leaders had engaged in their weekly duel.
    One hundred years ago today, twenty-two women at Howard University had a vision for a sorority
    dedicated to public service and commercial concerns.
    It’s the same with businesses. It will be interesting
    to see how the rest of the planet. As a side note, many experienced web marketers sustain multiple blogging sites and give insight into
    what your customers really want.